********************************************
So this is round 2 of our potty training adventure. We tried a few months ago, and while Promise was doing okay with it (about 50% success) after a couple of days, I was exhausted and short on patience which was not good for anyone. So, we put it on the back burner.
Recently however, she has shown a lot of interest in the potty. Any time I tell her I am going potty she pulls on her diaper and says "potty" and usually comes with me. If I get her diaper off in time she usually goes. Several times I have seen her just walk in, sit down, and pee... with her diaper on. She understands the concepts for sure. Yesterday she came to me pulling on her diaper and said "poop!" So, I took her potty, but silly me answered a phone call from Daddy at the same time (I wouldn't have except for the unusual timing I thought he might need something... he didn't.) and she got distracted and ran off. She did, however, poop about 3 minutes later. Again, she feels it, knows what it means, and knows where it goes. She's been doing several other things like this for a few weeks now.
Last week was crazy hectic and we were out late almost every night, but this week is clear. That gave me about a week after I decided to try it to wrap my mind around it. Let me tell you, I've been dreading it. The first night after I made the decision, I dreamed about potty training and woke up stressed out every hour. Ugh. In case you haven't heard, I'm about 8 months pregnant and getting less and less flexible by the day. I still spend a lot of time in the floor playing with Promise, but the difference is that now I have to get up and follow her every time she changes rooms or activities. Which is a lot!
But, I feel like if I miss this opportunity, it will be a long long time before we try potty training again. I mean, I will have a newborn in about 5 weeks (yes, I am aware of the chance of her regressing) and I will be exhausted for about 2 months following that. At that point, who knows. She may have completely lost interest. She may think diapers are the greatest things in the world. I may think diapers are the greatest things in the world. Who knows. Point is, I feel like I should put out the effort now since she wants to and at least see what happens. We may be back in diapers next week. Hopefully not. Hopefully there will be no more diapers in our house (besides sleeping times) until Baby Boy gets here.
So, we have geared up. I borrowed an extra potty chair from a friend to keep in the living room. This way she has it in sight and it is easier to stop playing and go potty if its not so far away. I have a 3rd potty chair on its way to keep in the van to make things easier for "out and about." Also, my Dad built her a little 2 step stool with a fold up bottom step so she can wash her hands AND it won't take up the whole bathroom. She LOVES the stool and washing her hands. In the past this was never a fun experience because I had to hold her balanced on the corner of the sink. Now, she is free to play in the water for a while and that is a great reward. I also got a 2 liter of Mt Dew for me because I know I am going to need the extra umph to get through a few days trapped at home. Sorry 2nd baby! And of course a mountainous stack of wash cloths set out to quickly clean up any accidents!
So, we're ready. Wish us luck! Here we go...
No comments:
Post a Comment