Tuesday, January 15, 2013

6 Month Letter - Luke

Oh my Lukey boy,

You are 6 months old (6 months and 1 week actually). Already! I never even got your 5 month letter written. The past couple of months have been a whirlwind. But you have weathered it well and now that the holidays are over, we're returning to a sense of normalcy.



You had a great first Christmas. We spent Christmas at Nonnie and Papa's house. Everything was pretty laid back and low key. Which was great for you. You got some extra snuggle time in with Nonnie and I'm pretty sure Papa let you watch a little bit of football. Your presents were mostly necessities rather than toys since you have as many toys as you really need, but you did get a stuffed Spiderman and Captain America in your stocking. You especially love the Spiderman - its a great size for you to hold on to. You also got a new activity mat that you really like. It has piano keys that you kick to play music and a mirror and toys that hang over your arms and head. You especially love the mirror. And I don't blame you... that baby is REALLY cute!

You are a lot more interested in your toys these days. Among your favorites are Sophie, your O-Ball, and your rattle. You can roll both ways very proficiently now and you will often roll to get a toy that you want. You don't travel much yet. You are starting to squirm around some, but for the most part you just roll back and forth. You are super laid back and don't seem to be in too big a hurry to get anywhere. Plus, your sister is constantly bringing you things, so there's really no need. On the occasion that you get some naked time on a blanket, you do move a lot more. Its really funny. You're not quite sitting independently yet, but you can balance yourself on your hands for several seconds. I don't push you to sit up, as I would rather you be moving.



You are still really small (12lb 14oz last week), but you are staying on your own little growth curve now. You're eating really well. You nurse 5 times during the day and still have a couple of night feedings as well. You're getting really fast at nursing which is bittersweet. I love having more playtime with you, but I do miss the snuggle time. You're still very cuddly though and never balk when I just want to hold you, so it works out okay.

I started giving you solid food this week. You're a fan! You are doing 'Baby Led Weaning' which means I give you pieces of food that you can hold on to and feed yourself. I will let you choose what and how much to eat for the next year or so. When you get more picky and demanding (like your 2 year old sister) I will be a little more stringent about portions and balanced eating. So far you have had avocado, sweet potato, white potato, asparagus, and banana. You were not a huge banana fan - I think it was slippery and hard to handle - but you have liked everything else. Especially sweet potatoes!


Your sleep habits are terrible. This is almost completely my fault - I have taken a lot of shortcuts due to our current circumstances. You usually take 3 naps a day, 2 if we're really busy. Your naps are hit or miss. You almost always wake up after 45 minutes, but you usually go back to sleep with my help if I have time. You still really struggle to go to sleep at bedtime no matter how much or how little we help you. I don't know that it is about that time of the day that is so hard. After 10ish you sleep pretty well usually waking once or twice to eat and going right back to sleep. You sometimes wake wanting your paci or just wake and squirm around. If you weren't sleeping in my room I probably wouldn't even know about this. You sleep until 7:30 almost every morning. On nights you only eat once you usually wake a little earlier. I have tried to start sleep training several times. I know you're not getting enough sleep and that sleep is really important for your growth and development and overall health. But, every time I have tried you have gotten sick. So I quit. We are giving it another shot this week. I hope by next month I can give a much better report on sleep!



In spite of your lack of sleep, you are always happy. Seriously. I have never seen a baby as content and laid back as you. You smile at everyone. You have the most adorable gummy smile in the world! People constantly comment on how happy and pleasant you are. You started going to the nursery at church this month and you are doing great. Your so small and fun I'm pretty sure you get held the whole time you're in there - you are quite the charmer! No one can say no to that smile. I hope that doesn't get you into trouble in the future!

The only thing better than your smile is your laugh. You have a fantastic laugh. When you're laughing because something is funny its like a deep soft chuckle. This laugh is typically reserved for your sister. I get more smiles, but she definitely gets most of your laughs. You are extremely ticklish and that laugh is even better. You laugh so hard when you're being tickled that you stop making any noise at all and just sort of bounce your shoulders. Its so cute!



You definitely light up our world, Jon Luke. You bring so much joy and fun into our home. You are a blessing far beyond what I could have imagined. I am thoroughly enjoying being your Mommy and watching you learn and grow. I am excited to see the great future God has for you. I know that your joyful countenance will bless a lot of people. Happy 6 months my sweet Snuggle Puppy!

I love you,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment