Until a week or 2 ago my little angel answered yes (by nodding her head) to almost everything we asked her. If she adamantly did not want something she would shake her head no, but 95% of the time she said yes. And if she didn't understand what you were asking, she said yes anyway.
Until that night... she was in the bathtub playing with her new bath crayons that she got in her Easter basket. She put them in her mouth, so I took them away. She kept asking for them back, so I asked her "are you going to eat the crayons?" and she vigorously nodded her head "yes". So I said "No, you do not eat crayons. Are you going to eat the crayons?" This went on. And on. And on. I kept telling her to say "No" and she finally shouted "NO!"
And since that night, she has not stopped saying "no". What have I done. I turned my sweet little angel in to a monster. Seriously. She now answers no to almost everything. Its horrible. And its gotten worse every day. Today she would melt down every time I asked her something. "Do you want to eat breakfast?" "NOOOOOOOO" followed by falling in the floor crying. Umm, seriously? It's just breakfast. We have breakfast every day. Not once in the past 11 months has she not had breakfast. So why is it suddenly something to fall over crying about? No idea.
It has gotten to the point that she says "no" even when she means yes. Even when she is nodding her head yes, she is whining "no". A few times I have heard her in her room by herself saying "No. No. No.".
What have I done!?!? I should have let hear eat the freaking crayons. They were non-toxic! Hindsight's 20/20 I guess. It's been a rough several days. She has been increasingly emotional and I have been increasingly impatient. Today is the first time in 17 months that I snapped at her. It broke my heart. I cried. I'm crying again just remembering it. (It didn't really seem to phase her.) I am running pretty thin. I'm sure a lot of it is hormone related - isn't everything these days? But that doesn't give me an excuse or solve the problem. I am not sure what the solution is. But I am filled with regret for teaching her that horrible, awful, dirty word! Ugh. Here's hoping for a better tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment