Thursday, January 26, 2012

I'm still here

So, I know I have been AWOL from the blogosphere lately. Don't worry, we're still here. It has been a crazy couple of months.  Promise and I left for Christmas on December 16th and things have still not gotten back to normal.  We spent a week at my Grandma's house and 4 nights at Camp Christmas. Promise decided to stop napping during that time and she cut 2 molars while we were home. Christmas was good (that's another post) but when we left we all had a nasty stomach bug.  Jonathon and Promise got over it after a couple of days, but for me it lasted over a week. Yep, a week with sips of water, a cracker every now and then, and constant throwing up. Ugh.

Once we were over that Jonathon came down with some sinus thing and Promise had a touch of that. I, somehow, got pink eye. In both eyes.  Umm, really?  How do you get pink eye when you're not 3!?! Thankfully Promise did not get that... but she did get her first ear infection. In both ears. We tried 2 different antibiotics (her first antibiotics) with no improvement, so I dropped them and started taking her to the chiropractor a couple times a week and putting garlic oil drops in her ears 2-3 times a day. This worked, but took some time. Then, she cut another molar. And when I thought things were looking up, she and Jonathon both got a cough and cold.  Let me tell you, baby coughs are SO pitiful. They had it for over a week and it is finally getting better. I thought I would miss out on this one, but no such luck.  Now I have the cold (no cough) which is so gross. I asked the pharmacist if I could take anything for it while I'm pregnant. She LAUGHED at me and said no!

Oh, and Promise just cut another molar.  That girl is up to a grand total of 12 teeth!  In the midst of all this chaos, she has slept through the night all of 2 times. Sigh.  And I have not slept through the night at all.  Jonathon is fine on the sleep front (although he complains of being tired... I have yet to figure out why).  She is also taking 45 minute naps which is killing this tired Mamma.  Oh well, this too shall pass.

Jonathon is working more hours now, so we pretty much have him home on Thursdays and Saturdays (when there's not a youth event).  This has been a hard adjustment for me.  This apartment is small and I get bored/lonely easily. But I'm adjusting. We are trying to do more planned activities instead of so much "free play".  Of course these activities don't usually last more than 10 minutes at a time. Haha.

In the mean time I have rearranged our living room/dining room and taken out some furniture to make a more defined play area.  I have also removed over half of her toys to limit the amount of freedom she has. It was too much, and her defiant behavior was getting out of control.  I chalk the behavior issues up to the fact that she has been exhausted for well over a month.  On the off chance she takes a good nap or sleeps all night - she's an ANGEL! Nevertheless, I can't ignore it until she's well rested again, so here we go.  We have also started using timeouts.  Which I hate.  But it's effective.  She has to sit in her little travel highchair in a corner for 2 minutes (we use a timer) every time she touches the blinds.  The first day she had 6 timeouts in ONE HOUR.  Today she has only had one all day and its because I was busy on the computer.  If she has enough direct attention she pretty much leaves them alone now.

Sigh. This Mommy thing gets harder every day.  I hear a lot of people talk about how hard the baby phase is and say that things are so much easier when they hit 1 year.  Are you freaking kidding me???  Babies are a snap.  This toddler thing is giving me a serious run for my money.  But, she's so stinking cute!  And she's really a lot of fun!  She LOVES to read and is starting to look at books more on her own. She knows her routine very well now, and it is so cute to watch her move from one activity to the other in anticipation (from eating to the potty, getting herself ready for independent play, etc).  She's a great shopper so when we get stir crazy we go wander around Target.  She's such a people person (she got that from her Daddy) and loves to talk to every single person in the store.  She's starting to help me more with chores - laundry, making beds, picking up toys (sort of).  Its cute. I am head over heals for that girl!

Okay, I know that was a mess. It's okay. I'll post soon with Christmas pictures, a Promise update, etc.  I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. I know, it's almost February... we'll get there soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment